Monday, June 8, 2015

chapter 4 mike and deke

“Do you want to go to Alice’s?” asked Mike. I danced around barking. Alice is Mike’s best friend. Mine too. I ran out to the Jeep, in an effort to encourage Mike to get a move on. I hope she’s making lasagna.
Alice greeted us at the door and let us in. I definitely caught the scent of lasagna along with freshly made dog biscuits. Store bought dog biscuits are fine but Alice’s are so much better. She offered me one. I didn’t turn it down.
“How did your meeting with Jim go?”
“OK but I had to do some fast talking after Deke jumped overboard. I really hope I’m going to be able to trust him to have my back when it counts. He knows everything he needs to know, he has the instincts and the skills to be an effective canine partner, and we certainly have a bond. But he just doesn’t seem to know when it’s time to play and when it’s time to work.”
Alice thought it over for a while. “Have you ever worked with him on the boat?”
“No, we’ve always used the dog trainer’s boat for water training.”
“So, Deke associates your boat with fun times. Did you use any signals or commands to let him know he needed to be in work mode?”
“Not until he jumped overboard. I put him in a down stay. He behaved himself after that.”
“Sounds like your answer then, doesn’t it?”

Mike slapped himself lightly across the forehead. “How could I have forgotten something so basic? Thanks, Alice.”

2 comments:

  1. Ah, of course. And he is a very intelligent dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was beginning to feel quite badly about himself. I had to put him out of his misery.

    ReplyDelete

WANT AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY?

For autographed copies of Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths you can buy directly from my website.








Blog Awards