Saturday, March 10, 2012

Book Review of NOT BY MIGHT by Al Lacy

I hardly ever write a negative book review. As an author, I respect how much blood, sweat, and tears are shed during the writing of a book. 

It is obvious that the author, Al Lacy has a great love of God, the old west, and the history of Colorado.

Not By Might has an intriguing plot and lots of action once it gets started. Unfortunately, it takes awhile to get started. I might have stopped reading it before I got to the good parts, if I hadn’t committed myself to reviewing it.

I liked the characters but I didn’t love them. It’s hard to relate to perfection when we all have flaws.

Some of the dialog seemed stilted and contrived, especially when the characters discussed Christianity.  The scripture passage that inspired the book’s title lost its power as a result of too much repetition, often in inappropriate situations.

I also had a bit of a problem with some of the medical history. The story is set in the old west but no actual year is cited. Still, I question whether there was a hospital of that size yet, in Denver and if surgery was that advanced. On at least two occasions, the main female character, an excellent nurse, is encouraged to become a doctor. I doubt that would have happened in the 1800s. 

The love scenes were sweet but a bit too mushy for my tastes.

I did enjoy the action scenes. They had me on the edge of my seat.

There were several subplots that seemed a bit disjointed but they all pulled together neatly at the end. The ending felt unrealistic but it was satisfying nevertheless.

I did like the unusual combination of Christianity, medicine, and the old west. Even though the book had flaws, I would recommend it for lovers of the western genre. 

I received this book free from Blogging for Books in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. It does sound an interesting combination. And you've written a great review--all the information I'd need as a reader. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

WANT AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY?

For autographed copies of Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths you can buy directly from my website.








Blog Awards