Wednesday, November 23, 2011

An Exercise in Character Development


I wrote this while trying to get into the mind of one of my characters for my novel in progress.

While driving through a neighborhood, I noticed an empty soup can in a window. I smiled wryly, remembering our all-clear signal from a lifetime ago. I wondered if the tenant was placing herself in the same untenable situation. 

After I moved away, you called once but I had grown up and learned how to say no. I never heard from you, afterward.

Recently, a mutual friend and confidante informed me I would never again get the chance to tell you yes or no. 

Hazy memories can be lovely.
Our reality wasn’t.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful!! You must have a mind somewhat like mine to think of things such as this!! I knew we became friends for a reason!! I think I know exactly what you mean!!
    Thumbs up dearie!!!!
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. FB & Twittered you too dear......I have thousands of followers on Twitter. I do a lot of Yardsellr and Listia!!
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Deb for taking the time to read and comment. I also appreciate your sharing it. I'm trying to decide if I should make this character a murderer or a red herring. I will probably write this book for a more mature audience. It may take some life experience to understand the subtleties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haunting short piece. It will be fun to see where you take it.

    ReplyDelete

WANT AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY?

For autographed copies of Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths you can buy directly from my website.








Blog Awards