Saturday, October 22, 2011

Interview with Sheila Deeth, Author of Flower Child

Sheila is interviewing Elizabeth, a character from my book Rudolph, a Child's Love Story on her blog today.So please stop by her blog to meet Elizabeth.

Meet the Girl Who Loved Rudolph.

Today I am interviewing author, Sheila Deeth.

Sheila, I am so excited about your new book FLOWER CHILD. I was wondering what genre you write in.

When people ask “What genre do you write in?” there’s kind of an expectation you’ll give one answer. Authors who explore several different genres often use pen names. But somehow I never got around to that, so now I’m published, or soon to be published, in children’s, speculative, Christian and contemporary genres, all under one name.
Do I worry about people reading my three-minute Sunday-school stories and finding the same author’s written about Queen Boudicca’s sister and the Holy Grail (in Black Widow)? Do I mind if the readers of Refracted’s time-travel mystery find I’ve written a set of illustrated Bible tales for Easter? What if someone reads my picture book to her grandchild then learns I’ve written a tale of contemporary torment when my novel’s released?
But I’m me and I’m kind of attached to my name. I wouldn’t put the same events in Refracted and Black Widow, or create a character tortured by the same questions as Megan in Flower Child, if I weren’t also a reader of the Bible, student of history and science, and dreamer of dreams.
I’m a Catholic Protestant, so my faith has always involved knowing there’s much more that I don’t know—hence speculative fiction. I’m a mathematician writer, so my stories always include a search for logic and pattern and meaning. I’m an English American, so I realize how much the rulesI take for granted of are just what my culture believes. And I’m me.
What genres do I write in? Whatever comes to mind. The characters dictate their tales in my head and I drip them on the page. Then I attach my name to them because my characters, my beliefs, my dreams, my hopes and my fears are all part of me.
Maybe a Sunday school teacher will read Flower Child one day and find some comfort there. I know I did.

Thank you for inviting me to your blog Mary. I’m delighted to have shared this journey to publication with you and I’m grateful for all I’ve learned from you on the way.

About Flower Child:When Megan miscarries her first pregnancy it feels like the end of everything; instead it’s the start of a curious relationship between the grieving mother and an unborn child who hovers somewhere between ghost and angel. Angela, Megan’s “little angel,” has character and dreams all her own, friends who may or may not be real angels, and a little brother who brings hope to her mother’s world. But Angela’s dream-world has a secret and one day Angela might learn how to be real.
Where to find Flower Child:
About the author:Sheila Deeth grew up in the UK and has a Bachelors and Masters in mathematics from Cambridge University, England. Now living in the States with her husband and sons, she enjoys reading, writing, drawing, telling stories, running a local writers' group, and meeting her neighbors’ dogs on the green.

Sheila describes herself as a Mongrel Christian Mathematician. Her short stories, book reviews and articles can be found in VoiceCatcher 4, Murder on the Wind, Poetic Monthly, Nights and Weekends, the Shine Journal and Joyful Online. Besides her Gypsy Shadow ebooks, Sheila has several self-published works available from Amazon and Lulu, and a full-length novel under contract to come out next year.
Find her on her website: http://www.sheiladeeth.com
or find her books at: http://sheiladeeth.weebly.com

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today, Sheila and for taking the time to answer my question with such a great answer.

I hope my readers will stop by again tomorrow when I will be interviewing Angela, one of your characters from FLOWER CHILD.

3 comments:

  1. You're welcome, Sheila and thank YOU too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting and refreshing to find a real person not afraid to encompass all elements of herself... and still be one person. Let's hear it for the concept. I believe in it too.

    ReplyDelete

WANT AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY?

For autographed copies of Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths you can buy directly from my website.








Blog Awards