Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Book Review of The Crossing by Serita Jakes

From the Back Cover:
Imprisoned by memories, Claudia Campbell lives each day in the shadow of a ten-year-old murder. Who can set her free?

On the way home from a football game, a decade earlier, a masked gunman opened fire on a Texas school bus. Cheerleading coach B.J. Remington was killed, but her murderer was never found. Claudia, who had a close friendship with the young, spirited teacher, constantly relives the anguish of that day, caught in one moment in time. When her husband, the assistant district attorney, becomes determined to uncover the mystery of that tragedy, the secrets buried over the years threaten to tear their family apart.

Officer Casio Hightower will never forget the day his dreams were destroyed. A star quarterback with a promising future, Casio was on top of the world--until one bullet changed everything. He is eager to help Victor Campbell find B.J.'s killer, the man who shot him. Maybe solving the case will help silence the demons driving Casio to hurt the woman he loves.

As the Campbells and Casio teeter on the brink of losing everything, will they be able to discover that what begins at the crossing ends at the cross?
My Review
Seeing a crime through the eyes, words, and thoughts, of a dying victim is an unusual way of telling a story. At first, I found it a bit confusing until I figured out what Serita Jakes, the author was doing and then I found myself looking forward to learning what B.J. was thinking as the story unfolded.
Ten years later we meet the characters who are still alive and they each have their own stories to tell about what happened then and how it is still affecting their lives now. Ms. Jakes builds their characters so well that I felt like I was inside their minds and emotions. Although I strongly liked and disliked several of the characters, I felt myself routing for them all to find happiness or at least salvation. Unfortunately, life isn’t always so tidy and neither is the ending to this story. Many of the characters surprised me, some pleasantly, some not. The ending certainly came as a surprise and, like the characters, it was both good and bad.
This is one of those books that you want to read in one sitting or it will haunt you until you have reached the end. I recommend this intense and often dark book unless you are looking for a light read.
I received this book free from Waterbrook Multnomah in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds really intriguing. I need to get back to looking for books to review from Waterbrook.

    ReplyDelete

WANT AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY?

For autographed copies of Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths you can buy directly from my website.








Blog Awards