Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Book Review of A Sound Among the Trees by Susan Meissner

History fascinates me and the history in A Sound Among the Trees by Susan Meissner, regarding the Civil War is intriguingly developed through the plot and several letters. The characters are believable and the dialogue realistic in this haunting tale of a new wife who moves into Holly Oak, an antebellum mansion that seems to “bear a grudge toward its tragic past,” as described on the back cover. A cannonball embedded into the side of Holly Oak seems to want to tell its own story.
One of my favorite parts of the book was the letters written by Susannah between 1860 and 1863. They revealed many answers to the behavior of the current generation of ladies involved with Holly Oak.
I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading the rich history of the South, with a hint of ghosts, haunted houses, and the study of human behavior.
I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. I need to go back there and review some more books.

    ReplyDelete

WANT AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY?

For autographed copies of Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths you can buy directly from my website.








Blog Awards