Saturday, September 24, 2011

Flickertail, Paint, and the Owl

Flickertail the llama and Paint the horse met an owl who was highly respected for his wisdom.

“I have written many best selling books,” he bragged. “Several have been made into movies and I am very wealthy as a result. What have you done with your lives?”

“We help our friends however they need us to help them. Sometimes we find treasured items they have lost. Sometimes we help to rebuild their confidence. Sometimes we are just good companions.”

“Do you give them money?”

“We have no money and no need for it but we share whatever we have.”
The owl nodded. “That is good, but you need to do more. You need to work even harder so that you have more to give.” 

“Do you share everything you have?”

“I share all of my wisdom, through my books and my movies.”

“But do you share all your money that you earned from your successful books and movies?”

“It is enough that I share my talent.”

“Let me see if I have this right,” said Flickertail. “You expect us to share everything we have and then to work harder so that we have even more to share. You, however, get to keep most of the fruits of your labor. Does that sound fair to you?”

“You don’t seem to understand. My books and movies tell people how they should live so that life is better for everyone.” 

“But those standards don’t seem to apply to you. With all due respect, I think that makes you a hypocrite,” Flickertail argued.

“The capitalistic system we live under is not good for the people. It encourages greed,” countered the owl.

“How very odd that you want to tear down the system that has made you what you are,” said Paint.

2 comments:

  1. Thought-provoking. Nice one Mary.
    Once people start serving systems instead of the other way round, things do get tied in knots. Trust Flickertail and Paint to see through the tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sheila. I agree with you. Systems should serve the people.

    I also think it is wonderful to voluntarily help each other. The Owl thinks compassion needs to be mandated.

    ReplyDelete

WANT AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY?

For autographed copies of Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths you can buy directly from my website.








Blog Awards