Monday, March 21, 2011

When Sparrows Fall Book Review


There is a lot of falling going on in this book. It starts out with Miranda’s husband falling from the roof and killing him, leaving her with 6 children to care for on her own.

Next, Miranda falls down a cliff, landing her in the hospital. That’s when Uncle Jack enters the story as the children’s temporary guardian.

Miranda has fallen from grace with her church and its extremely controlling pastor.

Jack falls in love with Miranda’s children. (I did too.)  Eventually, Miranda and Jack fall in love. (Not surprising; they are both flawed but lovable characters.)

The children are precocious and intelligent but extremely sheltered and naive about anything of a worldly nature. Jack, recognizing that they will never fit in with the real world as they are, introduces them to a less austere lifestyle, much to Miranda’s dismay.

There are also a lot of secrets interwoven in the story. I suspected Pastor Mason’s secret but I did not guess Miranda’s or Jack’s secrets.

Pastor Mason is the character you love to hate. He runs his church and the members like a cult. He controls Miranda by threatening to expose her secret. Eventually, Miranda manages to free herself from his viselike grip on her by revealing his and by publicly confessing her secret so he can no longer continue to use it against her.

I highly recommend When Sparrows Fall by Meg Moseley. Even though there are 365 pages, I read it in two days and found it an easy enjoyable read.

I received this book free from Multnomah Books in exchange for reviewing it.

1 comment:

  1. I like your comment that you fell in love with the children. I fell in love with the horse in a book I read recently. This certainly sounds an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete

WANT AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY?

For autographed copies of Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths you can buy directly from my website.








Blog Awards