Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Marketing Your Book for New Authors

After my publisher submitted a press release to the various local media, I followed up with a press kit.

I am thrilled to see that some of my promotional efforts have paid off.

My college and my high school alma maters have posted articles about my newly released book, "Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths". It would have been nice if they would have also included links to where my book can be obtained. Since they didn't, I did. You can click on my book's title. ;)

Here's what UWO posted. UW Oshkosh Today | May 2010 Class Notes ’88 Margaret Holdorf (LS) is author of the recently published book, “Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths.” She uses the pen name Mary Russel and resides in Fond du Lac.

The article published on Appleton High School's website is here.
Appleton West High School Wisconsin Alumni Wall of Fame

Our local advertiser, Action Advertiser posted a brief article in a Sunday edition last month. They did include contact information. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear on-line, since I wasn't featured.

Maturity Times contacted me about scheduling an interview for the August edition. I'm excited about that and I can't wait for the interview. I hope it goes well.

I have also been informed that an article will be published in the University of Wisconsin's newsletter "Engage".

A review of my book by Sheila Deeth appears on Gather and a transcript from my live chat is also on Gather.

My Zazzle store features characters from Flickertail & Paint on T shirts and mugs.

I have also joined the Fond du Lac Area Writers Group to help me with networking and improving my writing.

Next, I plan to try to schedule some book readings and signings. I have yet to determine the best way to approach the independent bookstores and related organizations. I haven't decided if I even want to talk with the big chain bookstores. I've heard nothing but nightmarish stories about how they react to unknown authors. Maybe I'll wait until I have a few more books out.

If I do have any success in scheduling book signings and readings, I plan to display some pompom pets of the Flickertail & Paint characters to capture the children's interest. I will also inform the local media and my publisher in advance to generate traffic.

Of course, I also post updates on Facebook, Twitter, and Squidoo as well as my blog and on my website.

The members of the Selling Lounge forum have been very helpful in promoting my book too. I am so grateful to them for all of their help and wonderful marketing ideas.

I'm sure I will come up with more ideas as I continue to write books. I would also welcome your ideas in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Mary! You're such an inspiration. It's great to read all your ideas, and wonderful to see them working too.

    By the way, I love the Zazzle Panel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all just so wonderful for you my friend! I am so proud of you!! Good luck with you "next" book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Deb and Sheila. I'm hoping to meet some other local published authors. Maybe we can put some kind of a book fair together.

    ReplyDelete

WANT AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY?

For autographed copies of Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths you can buy directly from my website.








Blog Awards