Wednesday, November 18, 2009

another excerpt from "Where is My Family?"

“Did you have a good time at Karen’s?” Mom asked.

“It was OK.”

“Only OK?”

“I only knew a few of the kids.”

“Did you make any new friends?”

“Well, there was one really cute boy. I think he was 16. He was flirting with me.”

Mom looked horrified.

I laughed. “Don’t worry, he danced and flirted with all of the girls. He even flirted with Karen’s grandma. If you’d been there, he would have flirted and danced with you too.”

“Well, I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. It wasn’t so bad meeting new people, was it?”

“I guess not.”

I wasn’t comfortable around strangers but there was no sense worrying her. I guess I am just one of those people who isn’t good in social situations.

I knocked on Brian’s door. “Oh good, you’re back. I found some websites you might want to look at. They have forums for adopted and foster kids. They might help you find your mom.”

“Do you think I should find her?”

“Only if you do. I think I’d want to know things like, do I look like my mom? You have a good singing voice. Wouldn’t you like to know if you got that from your mom? Maybe she can tell you something about your father and what he was like. There might even be some health issues you should know about, that could affect you.”

“I never even thought about the health stuff. My case worker said she would help me find her if I want.”

“Well, check out the forums anyway. They may help you decide.”

“OK. Thanks, Brian.” I took the sheet of paper he gave me with the list of websites and turned to go to my room.

“Hey, Beck?”

“Yeah?”

“Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, OK? Even if you just need a shoulder or an ear, huh?”

3 comments:

  1. I like the juxtaposition of her thinking she's "just one of those people" and Brian inviting her to wonder if she's like her mother. It's a nice, thought-provoking story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coming to your blog and reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why, but I love books written in the first person. Maybe because I also like autobiographies. Or maybe I like autobiographies because I like the first person... anyway, another great read!!!

    ReplyDelete

WANT AN AUTOGRAPHED COPY?

For autographed copies of Flickertail & Paint, Barnyard Sleuths you can buy directly from my website.








Blog Awards